Child Abuse Prevention Month Events
A variety of fun Child Abuse Prevention (CAP) month activities will occur throughout
April. See below for a list of activities that will take place across the state
as a part of the 2017 CAP Month campaign.
- APRIL 7 - Wear Blue Day. Wear blue in support to bring awareness to child abuse prevention
programs. Share your pictures on KCSL’s Facebook and Twitter using #WhyBlue!
- APRIL 3 - CASA - Children Worth Saving, Inc. will host a pinwheel planting at the Clark County Courthouse at 9:30 a.m.
- APRIL 5 - Clark County will sign the Child Abuse Prevention Month proclamation.
- APRIL 3 - CASA - Children Worth Saving, Inc. will host a pinwheel planting at the Comanche County Courthouse at 11 a.m.
- APRIL 4 - Comanche County will sign the Child Abuse Prevention Month proclamation.
The Douglas County Child Abuse Prevention Task Force has planned the following:
- MARCH 27 - Pinwheel planting and proclamation signing in Eudora
- MARCH 29 - Pinwheel planting, proclamation signing and presentation of their “Champion for Child Abuse Prevention” award at the Douglas County Commission Meeting
- APRIL 1 - Pinwheel planting in Lawrence at 10:30 a.m. (meet in front of City Hall)
- APRIL 3 - Pinwheel planting and proclamation signing in Lecompton at 7 p.m.
- APRIL 4 - Attendance of the City of Lawrence proclamation signing at 5:45 p.m.
- APRIL 22 - Exhibit booth at the Earth Day Celebration in Lawrence at South Park from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- TBD - Pinwheel planting and proclamation signing in Baldwin City
- APRIL 4 - CASA - Children Worth Saving, Inc. will host a pinwheel planting at 8:30 a.m. at Cimarron Elementary School and at 10 a.m. at DCCC Child Development Center.
- APRIL 14 - Gray County will sign the Child Abuse Prevention Month proclamation.
- MARCH 22 - Dodge City will sign the Child Abuse Prevention Month proclamation.
- APRIL 3 - Ford County will sign the Child Abuse Prevention Month proclamation.
CASA - Children Worth Saving, Inc. has planned the following:
- APRIL 5 - Pinwheel planting at noon at the Ford County Courthouse
- APRIL 5 - Pinwheel planting at 1 p.m. at Comanche and Central in Dodge City
- APRIL 7 - CASA - Pinwheel planting at 1 p.m. at Arrowhead West Children's Services
- APRIL 3 - Kiowa County will sign the Child Abuse Prevention Month proclamation.
- APRIL 5 - CASA - Children Worth Saving, Inc. will host a pinwheel planting at 2:30 p.m. at the Kiowa County Courthouse.
- APRIL 1 - CASA - Children Worth Saving, Inc. will plant a pinwheel garden at noon at the Meade District Hospital.
- APRIL 3 - Meade County will sign the Child Abuse Prevention Month proclamation.
- APRIL 8 - Join us before the park opening for the first “Chair”ish our Children event in
Independence! Enjoy a FREE Chris Cakes breakfast and bid on children’s chairs creatively
painted by local artists during a live auction. Event is 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Live auction
starts at 10:15 a.m. For more information, contact Erin Bunn at (877) 530-5275 ext. 1501 or
HERE for more details.
- APRIL 1 - Annual Family Fun Day at Sedgwick County Zoo is Saturday, April 1. With advance registration,
families can enjoy a discounted admission price of $7.50 per person (ages 2 and under free).
- APRIL 4 - Junior League of Wichita members will wear blue to the General Membership Meeting as a kickoff to their Child Abuse Prevention Month campaign and activities.
- APRIL 7 - Enjoy pinwheel planting, food trucks and blue dessert at KCSL’s Wichita office from
11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. BS Sandwich Press and Gaga’s Grub Taco Truck will set up and sell in the KCSL
parking lot, 1365 N Custer.
- APRIL 8 - Junior League of Wichita members will turn Bradley Fair blue by planting pinwheels throughout the grounds. Members are encouraged to wear blue and use #WhyBlue on social media posts.
- APRIL 8-14 - Junior League of Wichita members and local ambassadors will swap out their handbags for blue trash sacks to bring awareness to the fact that many times children in police-protected custody and foster care keep their belongings in trash bags.
- APRIL 12 - The Kansas Department for Children and Families will host a press conference and pinwheel
planting at Wesley Medical Center in Wichita beginning at 11:00 a.m.
- APRIL 27 - Junior League of Wichita will host “Gaining a New Perspective: A Child Welfare Simulation” at their headquarters from 6 to 8 p.m. (Brought to us by Children's Alliance)
- APRIL 15 - Safe Kids Kansas will host an event at the Topeka Zoo. Various agencies will exhibit around keeping children safe and healthy.
- APRIL 22 - Bikers Against Child Abuse (BACA) will host a ride in the Topeka area to raise awareness for Child Abuse Prevention Month.
- APRIL 9 - KCSL has partnered with Sporting KC to promote CAP Month. As part of this arrangement,
we are able to offer discounted tickets to the Sporting KC vs. Colorado Rapids game on Sunday,
April 9. FOR DISCOUNTED TICKETS: Click here
and enter in access code TJKCSL. Tickets must be purchased by March 24 to receive discount
If you have questions about this event or want to learn how to get involved, please contact
Todd Johnson at the Sporting KC office at (913) 387-3412 or Jamie VanCompernolle with KCSL
at (913) 371-2220 ext. 1204.
- APRIL 27 - KVC Kansas will host a Darkness to Light, Child Sexual Abuse Prevention training from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the KVC office, 1211 North 8th St., Kansas City, KS. For more information, please call 913-890-7513.
If you are planning an event please forward the information to
Pamela Noble, so it can be included in the statewide list.